Securing an Accompanist for your audition.
In order to gain maximum benefit and enjoyment from participating in the Milton Young Musicians Festival, we feel that all students in strings, winds, brass, and voice should avail themselves of an accompanist. The accompanist is not only a pianist but a seasoned musician whose coaching can provide a student with valuable pointers, both on musicianship and on performance skills. In addition, working with an accompanist gives a soloist the opportunity to hear his piece as the composer intended, in all its rhythmic and harmonic richness. We hope you will seriously consider adding this valuable dimension to your child’s festival experience.
The Young Musicians Festival does not provide an accompanist for your audition, or for your performance at the Gold Medal Concert should you qualify for that distinction.
However, the Festival does encourage you to perform with an accompanist.
Those two statements may sound contradictory, but here is how it works:
- You are encouraged, but not required, to perform your audition with an accompanist.
- You may rehearse and perform with an accompanist you know (a parent, a teacher, a neighbor…).
- If you wish to perform with an accompanist but need a referral, the Festival Committee is happy to make a recommendation. Please notify the Festival Director of your desire for a referral when you complete your Application Form. We are happy to provide you with contact information. It is your responsibility to contact the accompanist and make arrangements for a rehearsal date and time.
The Festival Committee always ensures that at least one accomplished professional musician (who has experience working with young musicians) is available for the Festival.
The fee for this service is not included in the application fee; it is paid directly to the accompanist.
Accompanist fees (and what you can expect to get for that fee) are as follows:
- levels 1-3: $25 (15 min. rehearsal) + $25 Festival Audition; $25 Gold Medal Concert (if applicable)
- levels 4-6: $50 (30 min rehearsal) + $25 Festival Audition; $25 Gold Medal Concert (if applicable)